Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Do you love your job?

Do what you love, and you’ll never work another day in your life. 




I like many folks here in the U.S. have enjoyed some time off from work during the Holidays and to be honest, I am not looking forward to getting up early today.  It has been wonderful to turn off the alarm and wake up when I wake up.  It has been nice to not rush to a meeting or stressing over hitting a deadline.  In the process of mentally preparing myself for hitting the payment again soon, it made me curious about how many people are unhappy with their jobs.  I was shocked at the facts that I uncovered:

According to just-released data by Gallup, only 13 percent of employees are "engaged" in their jobs, or emotionally invested in their work which  in other words means that 87% of folks are not happy with their current job situation.


Another poll shows that most people -- 80% according to Deloitte’s Shift Index survey -- are dissatisfied with their jobs.

I  must admit the percentage of those unsatisfied with their current job situation was a surprise to me.  I knew that there are many folks out there that work to bring home a paycheck but I was really surprised to see such a high percentage.

I will admit that I have been on both sides of this situation before.  I have been fortunate enough to work for some companies that I absolutely loved and really could not wait to get to the office each day.  I have also worked for a couple of companies where I had to drag myself to the office.  I will agree that I felt like I was a much more productive employee when I loved my job.  I felt very disenfranchised when I worked in a job that I did not enjoy.  I felt very unappreciated and I knew because of my feelings about my job - I wasn't as productive as I could have been.


I know that there are many reasons why people do not like their jobs.  Some folks might feel like they are in a dead end job or that they do not like their boss, their company or their co-workers.   What choices do you have if you do not enjoy your job?  We do after all have choices.  Per Gallup - we can do one of the following:


  1. Try to work it out
  2. Move to another department within the company
  3. Find a new job
 I encourage you to not be a part of the 87% but to be a part of the 13% of folks who love their job!




No comments:

Post a Comment