Monday, October 5, 2015

Why Goals are Important



Know what scares me?  Waking up tomorrow and realizing that I do not have a clue how I got where I am.  I do not want to wake up and realize that I have not really lived my life or experienced so many of the wonderful things that are out there just waiting for me!


You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there.

When I first started my career many years ago - someone who acted as my mentor spoke to me about the importance of setting my goals. 




You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there.


He also drove home the fact that my goals had to be realistic - not impossible to achieve - and they must be written down.  The purpose of writing them was saying that I was committing to my goals.  He also encouraged me to write down one goal and then divide it into steps that I was to take to achieve my goal.

Little did I know at that time I was actually setting SMART goals.  

Goals should be specific - measurable - achievable - relevant - and a time established for the goal = SMART

Several years ago I read an article about having one goal for each year of your life.  Well - let me tell you...having 18 goals when you are 18 years of age is okay...but do you really want 75 goals when you are 75?  Talk about being attainable...don't think so!

The number of goals should be specific and achievable...whatever works for you should be the number you set.



I going to share  a couple of goals that I am happy to share with you here today:

1)  Visit all 50 States
1a) Keep a current list of states I need to visit
1b) Visit one new state a year

2)  Pay cash for Christmas 2015
2a) Make a list of potential gifts for everyone
2b) Set aside a pre-determined $$$ amount and continue to fund my Christmas account each month
2c) Start buying Christmas gifts early so not to have to feel pressured to buy everything in
       last minute which could result in using a credit card.
2d) Track all my purchases on my gift spreadsheet.


These are just a couple but it will give you an idea of how I set a goal and then break it down into smaller details.  This system may not work for you but it keeps me on track for how my life goals!




            “Every man dies – Not every man really lives.” ~ William Ross


No comments:

Post a Comment