I can remember many a New Year's Eve where I would spend hours writing down New Year's resolutions only to have them completely forgotten within a month (okay sometimes much shorter than a month!)
Several years ago I decided that I would give up on the resolutions and write down my goals. I also decided to write one new goal for each year according to my age. Okay - that one has also gone by the wayside too!
BUT - I do enjoy writing down my goals. First of all by writing them down I am committing to these goals. Okay maybe committing is too strong of a word but I at least have a record of what I would like to accomplish during the next 12 months. Another thing I learned about goals - they have to be realistic and achievable or else why bother?
SO - here goes some of my goals for 2011 and not in any order of importance:
1) Get the weight off! I know that is the #1 goal of everyone but I really...really need to get serious about this especially for my health and my self-esteem!
2) Along with getting the weight off - I need to exercise more! Walking the Dallas (aka Hyper-Pooch) does not necessarily count either!
3) Finances - again one of the most often used goals/resolutions for any New Year. I am pretty good about watching my money BUT there is always room for improvement. I WILL pay off my credit cards this year...my goal? 1st Quarter pay-offs. I would like to pay off Chris car too! Along with this is to increase my 401K contribution. As Suze Orman says - always invest up to the percentage amount that your company meets. Well my company will match 100% up to 8%. This should be a no-brainer.
4) Travel - I am usually pretty good about this too. I do manage to get some air travel in each year but I would like to get a bit more specific this year. I want to travel to Europe. This should not be too difficult - maybe a trip to Finland? I would love to see England, Scotland and Ireland. Oh yes - let's us not forget a trip to Alaska too. Shouldn't one see the U.S. first before venturing to other countries? I would also like to return to New Mexico. There is something so very spiritual about that state...very relaxing, very calming, VERY special indeed.
5) Okay - here is a new one and will probably be a surprise to all...I want to learn photography. You would think that being a Pisces and supposedly being a creative person I would be good at this? Well - only time will tell. I will start slow and work my way up the ladder here. I will purchase a "Photography for Dummies" book *ha* as well as a good point and shoot camera. As much as I would like to purchase a Canon EOS Rebel - I refuse to pay all that money until I know if this is something that I am really going to enjoy. I will finally learn how to post pics on my facebook page too! About time...don't you think?
6) Take a photography class at UTA...nuff said!
7) Be a more patient, loving person. Okay - so this is a very generic goal here BUT let's face it. Aren't we all just a tad bit judgemental? I could really learn to think before speaking and being a lot less judgemental.
8) Experience professional growth in my career. Okay - wonder how I can do this? ~hmmm~ A definite goal for 2011
I am sure that I am forgetting many things or would like to do much more but the goal here *pardon the pun* is to make the goals achievable. Too many goals and I may not be able to achieve...too few goals and I will not challenge myself.
AND afterall isn't that what goals really are? To better ourselves by challenging ourselves? To take a chance and think/do outside the box?