Monday, July 8, 2013

Monday's Musing - Music of my Heart


 When I was a little girl my parents decided that I was a child prodigy and they enrolled me in piano lessons at a very young age.
I obediently took piano lessons but I was not always in the mood to practice.  Today I look back and think that maybe I wasn't ready for piano lessons at such a young age but my parents were determined.
Finally when I entered junior high school my parents allowed me to quit taking piano lessons  *whew*  I was so happy to not have to play in another piano recital!   Once entering 7th grade I realized that I still had music in my soul so I joined the choir and found my voice.  I LOVED to sing and discovered very quickly that my piano lessons were a true asset to singing!

Just 10 days after my 14th birthday my father died of a massive coronary.  To say I was devastated is an understatement.  I was so lost without him in my life and a deep loss set in.  It was at this time that I discovered that I could express my fears, anger, loss, and love on the piano.  I would sit for hours and hours playing my old piano.  Do you know what happens when you play the piano so much?  You actually get very good at it and that is exactly what happened.  I found my heart and soul in the piano.  It became my way of expressing how I felt and I made the keys come to life with emotion and tenderness.

In my senior year of high school I was fortunate enough to find an incredible piano teacher who encouraged me and prepared me for a major in music in college.  His belief in me was an incredible gift that he gave me.  He BELIEVED in me and as a result - I believed in myself.

Maybe my parents were onto something all those years ago when they started me in piano lessons.

During my collegiate years I had a couple of wonderful piano professors and one that was not so good but I persevered and discovered that through my music I could give back - I could entertain - I could speak to people with my music without even speaking a word.

Music to me is a gift from God...he gave me this talent to use and share.





 Each of us has a talent - it may be hidden or it may be temporarily on hold.  I hope that you find it within yourself to share your talent - whatever it might be - with others.
Let your special talent reach all and may you touch another's life in a way that only you can do!
This post is dedicated to the memory of my mom and dad...the ones who believed in me first!

No comments:

Post a Comment