Thursday, September 24, 2015

How I Faced Fear and walked away Victorious

Fear is a powerful opponent!

When I was a young girl growing up in Alabama I was taught to be fearful...yes it is true.  I was taught to be fearful of so many things...people...places...you name it and I was taught to be fearful of it!


It impacted the way that I lived my life in so many ways even into adulthood.

I was afraid to go by myself to the grocery store...and heaven help me - I would NEVER go to a movie or a restaurant by myself!


My fear kept me from enjoying so much that life had to offer.  I decided that it was time to let go of that opponent known as fear...but I had to do it in baby steps!


First baby step was to go to a restaurant by myself so I did.  I packed a book and ventured out to my favorite Mexican Restaurant.  All in all - it was not so bad.  I read my book...enjoyed my food and the bonus of going by myself?  All the chips were MINE!!!!  I was so excited when I paid my bill and walked outside to my car!  What an accomplishment that was.  I was on top of the world.

Now on to the second baby step - going to a movie by myself.  I selected a good ole chick flick because I felt certain that I would no look out of place if I entered the theater alone.  Best part of going to the movie alone?  Do not have to share the popcorn...yet another bonus!  I happily completed this baby step.

With each new step - I found myself looking forward to doing something new by myself.  I worked myself up to traveling by myself which also resulted in a rental car, maps, GPS and getting lost a lot but know what?  Getting lost did not scare me anymore...it actually opened my eyes to new adventures.

Some of my best  memories are of places that I discovered while getting lost.

Now in closing...I am not going to say that I have 100% conquered my fear...but my fear no longer controls me.  I am now able to identify fear and address my fears with a reasonable solution!


Today - am I free of fear?  Oh no way but at least I am able to recognize fear and not allow it to paralyze me.  I do not run away from my fears but I try to face fear head on.

Here is hoping that you too can take a baby step today to overcome fear!


No comments:

Post a Comment