Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Inspirational places - Monte Sano Mountain - Huntsville Alabama

Today is Travel Tuesday and I wanted to write about a very special place from my past.

Monte Sano Mountain - Huntsville, Alabama.

I grew up in a house at the foot of this glorious mountain. Each day I would walk outside and see this magnificent mountain in all her glory! It has always been a special place for me as it holds so many special memories of my life.

(source unknown)

As a young girl - we would take the short ride up the mountain to have a picnic and play on the playground there.  I can still remember my dad pushing on the swing and feeling like I was going high enough to touch the clouds!  I can close my eyes right now and hear the laughter of a little girl begging her dad..."push me higher Dad...higher"

My Girl Scout troop would take trips up to this mountain to help us earn our badges.  It was always so beautiful and breathtaking...with the hidden trails and meandering paths every which way you could look.  There is a huge covered pavilion at the edge of the mountain overlooking the miles and miles of valley below.  There was also a huge rock fireplace in the pavilion where you could have a roaring fire and toast marshmallows.  OOOH...those were the best S'mores ever!

As I grew older Monte Sano Park became my "special go to place" especially after my dad  died when I was a teenager.  Once I started driving I often drove up the mountain to my favorite place to sit and just think.  You see - there is a hiking trail right behind the pavilion that leads downward into one of the most spectacular places I have ever seen.  As I hiked down - I found a rock that jutted out over the valley which provided an incredible life changing view of the valley below.  I would hike down to my special rock and sit for hours just letting go of my pain from my loss and just reflect on life going forward.  It was not only my inspirational secret spot but it was also my way of meditating (I just didn't know at that young age that I was meditating).  It was the one place where all my worries, all my troubles would just disappear and all was right with the world!  I oftentimes found myself writing here as well.  This special place really inspired me!


(source unknown)



I also introduced anyone visiting me from out of town to my favorite spot and they too recognized the tranquility and peacefulness first hand.  We would just sit and not have to say a word...the universe surrounding us spoke all the words that needed to be said as we feasted upon the beauty of the mountains and valley.


Monte Sano is beautiful all year round but I find that Fall is my most favorite time to truly take in all the beauty of this oh so special place.  Mother Nature does her best artwork in the fall on this mountain.  She paints the bold golds and reds that  leave a gently kiss upon the trees and just takes your breath away

(source unknown)


(source unknown)


Once I left Alabama I would always find my way back to my mountain each time I visited my Mom.  Monte Sano always called me home with each visit.  It has now been way too many years since I have been to my special spot but oh how I long for it.  I crave it like I crave a cold glass of ice water on a hot summer day.

For the time being...I will have to allow my memories to take me back to my special place until I can once again find my way back "home"


No comments:

Post a Comment